Electric ranges are the most popular choice of consumers right now because in some states, the gas utility bills and electric bills aren’t far from each other. The reason why many people go electric is because of its ease of use and added safety. There is no need for a gas connection line that can pose risk of leaking and there will be no open fire that may be unsafe for kids.
Electric is also convenient for people who live in places where there are no gas lines, meaning they have to buy a tank and have it refilled or replaced every now and then. Although gas ranges have its own pros, such as the evenness of fire distribution and the savings in the long run, electric ranges are best for people who don’t want to be bothered by gas ranges’ hassles.
It really depends on the person or the family who will use the range. If you aren’t completely sure about getting an electric range but you really want to, read on through this article to help you decide.
What are the types of electric ranges?
Before you read on through the factors that may affect your decision-making and your purchase, you should know first the different types of electric ranges. For the type of burners, there are two: Coil or Flat Top.
Coil: Electric coil cooktops are ones that come with rings of metal coil where heat is focused. It has drip pans or bowls underneath that catch food or spills. They are inexpensive and provide an even cooking heat. For this, try:
Whirlpool WFC130M0AW 30″ White Electric Coil Range
- Item includes room of choice delivery, unboxing, item hook-up (including required parts) and free optional haul-away at checkout
- 5.4 cubic foot convection oven evenly distributes heat for perfect baking and browning. 5 element ceramic glass cooktop
- 3,200 watt Electric Turbo Boil brings pots and kettles to a rapid boil in less time
- Cheaper and easier to maintain.
- Doesn’t require replacing all your curved pots and pans because it can perfectly hold them still.
- Puts more heat than the flat top.
- Cheaper than flat tops.
- Easier and cheaper to repair and replace and you can do it yourself in some sort of DIY project. You can buy replacements like the:
Jenn-Air 8″ Range Cooktop Stove Replacement Surface Burner Heating Element
- This is a Brand New Replacement Stove Cooktop Burner / Heating Element
- Univeral Design and Easy Installation Make this a Top Qualty Replacement Part!
- Difficult to clean because you have to remove the coils and drip pans.
- May not look as nice and elegant as flat top cooktops.
Flat Top: The electric flattop or smooth top has a solid ceramic glass-cooking surface with radiant heat elements installed underneath. Many people get this because it not only looks really nice but it also cools down really fast. Owners also suggest getting the black glass and not white.
For this, check out:
Frigidaire FFEF3043LS 30″ Freestanding Electric Range with Ready-Select Controls and SpaceWise Expanda, Stainless Steel
- 6.4 Cu. Ft. Self-Cleaning Convection Oven
- 5 Elements; 100 - 3000 Watts
- Use The Quick Self-clean Cycle To Clean Your Oven In 2hrs
- This is easier to clean than coil because there are no coils or pans to take out.
- Because of its flat surface, it gives more counter space that may be used for cutting boards, prep area, etc.
- Elegant and pretty to look at because of the smooth, shiny glass.
- It heats slower than coil cooktops.
- If you have an uneven pot or pan, it may spin or move as you stir whatever you’re cooking. It is suggested to get pots and pans with a flat bottom.
- It requires more maintenance. You have to remove all the food drops, stains, spills, and morsels otherwise it may impede in the heating and cooking process.
- It is easy to scratch so don’t use abrasives, steel wool, or scrounge pads.
- Flat top coil replacement part can be expensive and requires service by a professional.
How to choose the best electric range?
Type: The above pros and cons on each type of electric range cooktop may already help you decide on the best one to get. While most people are leaning towards the beauty and ease of use of smooth-top cooktops, there are still a few consumers who stick with coil top burners because it is easier and cheaper to maintain. Repair and replacements are also marginally cheaper.
Needs: Determine the use of your electric range. Will you be cooking for just yourself or a small family? Then you won’t need a big one that has five to six burners. Three to four burners will do the trick. Also decide on the capacity and size of the oven, if you aren’t going to use it too much, opt for a smaller one, as it would consume lesser power and electricity.
You can also choose an oven that comes in two smaller sizes. This way, you’ll be able to use just one small one if you are going to bake a few casseroles/dishes. It also gives you the option to bake different types of dishes at the same time. Check out the double oven of this range:
GE PS950SFSS Profile 30″ Stainless Steel Electric Slide-In Smoothtop Double Oven Range
- Capacity: 6.6 Cu. Ft. / Self Clean Convection Oven
- True European Convection With Precise Air
- 3,600W Power Boil / Synchronized Elements
Reviews and ratings: It is important to check what other people think about their electric ranges so make it a habit to read through reviews of the ones in your list to help you decide faster. This way, you’ll know tips on buying as well as their experiences with their ranges. This will give you an idea on which ranges to steer clear away from, or those products worth saving up for.
Whether you pick coil or smooth-top, ensure that you are getting the most out of your buck to be able to fully appreciate the product that you have chosen to buy. Electric ranges are not cheap, but they are a great necessity that it is almost always required to get the best one that will last for years to come.
When you are finally buying your electric range, always ask for deals because appliance shops tend to hold sales and deals, especially during weekend holidays. Sometimes it is also worth waiting for these types of sales instead of rushing to buy your purchase.
Also inquire about warranties and technical support for your product in case you run into problems. Ranges are very expensive to repair, so you want to have that burden lessened.